Little Star's Realm

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The "Graying" of Emotion

I had a short chat with two of my officemates. The first one is a girl 2 years older than me. The other one is a guy 3 years younger than me. We shared our common experiences during college (we took up the same course). But the differences and comparisons occurred when we conversed about our life after school.
The guy was very vocal about his admiration to me & the other girl regarding work. He told us that we’re both talented and we already know enough while he still needs to learn a lot. He’s still having fun and doesn’t have clear plans for his life. I looked at the other girl and we both smiled. We're trudging the same phase. We’re both having dilemmas concerning work, plans & relationships.
Life and all its facets.
I started having this dilemma when I reached the age of 20 but it certainly got worse as years passed by. Time has changed me. I used to have juvenile dreams and unswerving plans despite the fact that I myself don’t know what will eventually happen in the future.
I tried to get what I want. I tried to be persistent & optimistic. But so much have changed.
Time made me feeble and fragile. More insecure. More confuse.
I still feel like a mediocre even if I tried my best in my field of work and there are no signs of progress.
I became afraid of emotional adherence and commitments. I used to have a lot of friends when I was young but the pain of seeing them leave one after the other made me fear attachments even more.

I am getting old and I am still here.
Stagnant. Unfulfilled.Unstable.
Lonesome.

I am relating this phase of my life to quarter-life crisis. For how long…that I do not really know. But this is tiring. I wish I’ll find the answers to my relentless questions. I wish I’ll discover what I really want in my life.


Infos about Quarter-life Crisis:

The quarter-life crisis is a term applied to the period of life immediately following the major changes of adolescence, usually ranging from the ages of 21 - 29. The term is named by analogy with mid-life crisis. It is now recognized by many therapists and professionals in the mental health field.

Emotional aspects
Characteristics of this crisis are:

These emotions and insecurities are not uncommon at this age, nor at any age in adult life. In the context of the quarter-life crisis, however, they occur shortly after a young person – usually an educated professional, in this context – enters the "real world". After entering adult life and coming to terms with its responsibilities, some individuals find themselves in a world of career stagnation and extreme insecurity. As the emotional ups-and-downs of adolesence and college life subside, many in the quarter-life crisis experience a "graying" of emotion. While emotional interactions may be intense in a high school or college environment – where everyone is roughly the same age and hormones are highly active – these interactions become subtler and more private in adult life. Nobody wants to admit to feeling like a 'loser' (especially not twentysomething men). This secrecy intensifies the problem. In his book, Barr reveals many of the anxieties twentysomethings have. Chief among these is the fear that everyone else is having an amazing time in their twenties. Furthermore, a contributing factor to this crisis may be the difficulty in adapting to a workplace environment. In college, professors' expectations are clearly given and students receive frequent feedback on their performance in their courses. By contrast, in a workplace environment, a person may be, for some time, completely unaware of a boss's displeasure with his performance, or of his colleagues' dislike for his personality. Office politics require interpersonal skills that are largely unnecessary for success in an educational setting. Emerging adults eventually learn these social skills, but this process – sometimes compared to learning another language – is often highly stressful.

Financial and social aspects

A primary cause of the stress associated with the "quarter-life crisis" is financial in nature. The era when a professional career meant a life of occupational security – thus allowing an individual to proceed to establish an "inner life" – is coming to a crashing end. Financial professionals are often expected to spend at least 80 hours per week in the office, and people in the legal, medical, educational, and managerial professions may average more than 60. In most cases, these long hours are de facto involuntary, reflecting economic and social insecurity. While these ills plague adults at all ages, their worst victims are ambitious, unestablished young adults.
posted by li'l star at 12:44 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home